google.com, pub-1996401214588839, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Dragon Zakura / ドラゴン桜 ~ Asian Drama Queen

The Queen of Asian Drama is Back with more Irreverent Reviews and Snarky Commentary.

Friday, April 23, 2010

Dragon Zakura / ドラゴン桜




A 2005 TBS release that stars Abe Hiroshi, Yamashita Tomohisa, and Koike Teppei among others.

ABE (ah-bay) is so, totally COOL!

In this drama, he's a low-level attorney down on his luck AND cash.

His office is a one-room, dilapidated mess with papers and discarded food containers everywhere.

Its also where he sleeps every night since he has no place else to go.

He ends up taking on a challenge to bring up the test scores of a lower-level high school by vowing to accomplish the impossible task of having a minimum of five students succeed in one year or he will walk away.

The five students are from different backgrounds and with varying degrees of incompetence, and the 11-episode drama focuses on each of them up to the end, when they take their college entrance exams and it is decided whether or not Zakura Dragon has succeeded or not.

I'm still trying to figure out why Tomohisa didn't register with me when I watched Buzzer Beat.

In every drama I'd seen him star in up to that point, he looked the same to me - and then I watched Buzzer Beat and ---- huh?

Whatever, I don't think that Dragon Zakura was about him or the kids but about Abe instead and his quest for perfection amongst the imperfect of Japanese society.

It was an awesome drama and I recommend it to anyone who has yet to watch (though I doubt that'd be anyone on the planet who enjoys Asian dramas!)

0

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please Be Nice