google.com, pub-1996401214588839, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 For the Emperor ~ Asian Drama Queen

The Queen of Asian Drama is Back with more Irreverent Reviews and Snarky Commentary.

Saturday, February 06, 2016

For the Emperor






Movie: For the Emperor
Romanization: Hwangjereul Wihayeo
Hangul: 황제를 위하여
Writer: Lee Yong soo, Kim Sung dong
Genre: Ganseuteo
Set: Busan
Release Date: June, 2014



Cast




Plot


Yi hwan (Lee Min ki) is a former professional baseball player. He was involved in fixing games and lost everything. Gang boss Sang ha (Park Sung woong) runs a money lending business and a gambling parlor. He makes Yi hwan work for him. Yi hwan falls for bar owner Yeon soo (Lee Tae im). ~ AsianWiki (with changes)


Review


Mixed messages about Lee Min ki and his military requirement. If he enlisted in August of 2014, then he'd be away until August of 2017, right?

dwaesseo

For the Emperor was a bloody and violent depiction of kang pae life in Busan, and Lee Min ki's Yi hwan makes it all the more so after he's busted and has to forfeit his baseball career.

Lots of knives, sound effects, blood and gore to keep me averting my gaze every few scenes, but I made my way clean to the end and still liked what I'd just watched.

The inevitable ending was weird, and with a touch of poignancy that would have made me laugh if it wasn't for Min ki's being there.

I love him.

Honestly, truly, and faithfully adore this guy and his work.

Oh, and because this was a MOVIE and not a drama, there were some sex scenes,

and I do mean sex SCENES.





after

Gotta love it!

But, this post is more about Lee Min ki and not so much this particular movie.

I've been binging on his art lately, having missed him for so long, and it strikes me as very odd that he looks different every time I see him.




Long and lean here, and if I'm not mistaken, he's 86'd the lisp, too, sad to note.

I watched this at Dramanice, but I think it's also available at YouTube (just not with English subs?)

Next on my watch list is Booyong of Mt. Kyeryong -- probably quintessential Min ki -- and I'm looking forward to seeing him again, but it would be nice if he signed on for a period drama since I'm curious about his depth of range.

Also, what I wouldn't give to see him in another romantic comedy!

He seems to prefer movies over dramas, but something along the lines of  Dal jah's Spring would be nice, too.

Maybe I've seen too many of his serious works and want to have some of that silly Min ki magic back, who knows.

I recommend this one; just be prepared ;-)


0

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please Be Nice