google.com, pub-1996401214588839, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 A Second Proposal / 두번째 프러포즈 / Du-beon-jjae Peu-reo-po-jeu ~ Asian Drama Queen

The Queen of Asian Drama is Back with more Irreverent Reviews and Snarky Commentary.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Second Proposal / 두번째 프러포즈 / Du-beon-jjae Peu-reo-po-jeu



2004 Korean drama that stars my man, Oh Ji ho!











This was my first experience with timing and subtitle issues at aznv.tv - but despite that, I watched all, 22 episodes because the story sucked me in right from the start and kept me spellbound for the duration.
D-Addicts was what ruined it for me and the dozens of other viewers who complained about timing issues and horrible translation.

Along with this frustration was the convoluted summary of the drama itself.
They cut/pasted the synopsis from Drama-wiki, so no matter where I searched for a better explanation for what the drama was actually about, I came up empty.

So, bear with me this time - for those of you who have never watched it before, I'll do what I can to make it sound as exciting and interesting as it turned out to be without actually giving away the guts of the drama.

A Second Proposal is about a young housewife with two, small children whose husband is a successful and self-made businessman.
They move up in the world at the start of the drama, and all of the key figures tend to congregate in that first episode, giving the viewer a good idea about what is to come.

Oh Yun soo is Mi young, the wife.
Kim Young-ho is Lee Min suk, the husband.
Heo Young-ran is Hwang Yun jung, the home wrecker.
and Oh Ji ho is Nam Kyung soo, the mover who helps Mi-young with delivering and moving her things to the new, fancier condominium complex.

I'll admit that this story is rife with symbolic gestures and stereotypical innuendo meant to suggest the whys and hows of extramarital inclinations ~
If, however, you pay close attention to a scene early in the story where Min suk photographs Mi young's broad ass as she's busy cleaning the floor, then you'll understand why I don't buy the notions this story insists to impose on the viewer.
Just keep it in mind throughout the rest of the show, and it should become evident at the very end.

It's a fairytale with the typical, sad beginnings where our heroine goes through insurmountable pains and injustices in order to end up at the opposite end of the spectrum called life.
Surprising, though, is that the writers decided to do the same thing to her nemesis ~ taking her in the opposite direction ~ a stretch for Korean drama, so kudos to them for giving it a whirl!

Since this is TV and we are directing our attention to an audience that media tends to snub as insignificant, stupid, and gullible ~ our heroine is always surrounded by a bevy of gorgeous, capable men all with stars in their eyes and hearts bursting above their heads while in Mi young's midst.
Because she's a mother (and a Korean one to boot) her only interest lies in getting back what she lost; namely her darling then suddenly obedient children.

Men have affairs with no consequences and do as they please because - well, because that's just the way it goes ~ women suffer because - well, because that's just what God intended!

Nam Kyung soo hovers throughout this drama, hiding his feelings in Mi young's distancing and icy presence while pining away for her.
In reality, and if it'd been me who was lucky enough to be in Mi young's situation (which I was, minus the hunky dude), I'd have jumped his bones almost immediately and THEN set out to conquer the world.
That's just me, though.

"Familiarity breeds contempt" was the undercurrent suggestion for the hell-on-earth demise Mi young suffered through as a result of the daylight decision made not by her but by the wayward husband and his brain-dead mistress.

"Adversity has its own reward" was the message Mi young and no-doubt every, middle-age housewife in Korea watching the drama was supposed to take away from the show.

Let's all stand up now and give a round of applause for the conquering heroine, shall we?

Both brows rose at the ending's 'communal' aspect, it was so entirely unexpected.
But, I think this is why the show worked for me.
It was entirely what I expected to see and hear when I chose to watch another, Korean drama, and yet it was so different from the other shows I've watched, it surprised me in ways in which I hadn't expected to be taken aback by.

Aw, heck people!
OH JI HO!
He accounts for over half the reason why I stuck this one out to the very end, but I'm telling you in all honesty, A Second Proposal was worth the 22-episode watch and the totally screwed up timing/subtitles.

Ah rah so?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please Be Nice